Monday, July 11, 2005

Housemate Blues - Help Needed

Being in a relationship has taught me many things. One of them is listening to the problems of my boyfriend and trying to offer solutions to it. Sometimes, all he wants is just a listening ear. But I can't help but worry about his problems once he lets off his burden on me. This is one problem that I cannot solve and I need some advice from all you bloggers out there.

It all started more than a month ago. He was to move out with his friend, C to an apartment in the city centre. It was a beautiful place but it costs GBP300 a month per person. It is a rather steep price for someone like C who doesn't have a stable job. Although C is qualified as an architect, he does not have the certificate to prove so because he did not pay his fees and the university rejected his right to graduate. He works as a part time waiter at the conference centre here. The job is seasonal. He holds a student visa which will expire sometime in October yet he does not have any plans to go back to where he comes from to renew it or get a real full time job in the UK so he can continue staying. Tell me people, don't you think staying with a housemate like this is going to be risky? I am not despising him because he doesn't have the cash sign plastered on his face. I am just concerned for my boyfriend. Who knows C will default on the rent? What will happen to Vinz?

All the hoo-hah happend and even Vinz's friends desuaded him to move out with C and also managed to pull C back to reality. Unfortunately, this didn't last for long. There are 2 rooms in the present place. One big and one small. Vinz originally stayed in the smaller one which costs GBP225 and the larger one costs GBP275. Once his old housemate moved out, Vinz took the bigger room and settled in nicely there. Then C came along and said that he wanted the large room. I was fuming mad because what is the difference of paying 300 and 275? If he indeed realised his funding problem, he should stay in the small room and pay lesser. Vinz let him have his way since C's mum and sister will be coming over for a holiday. On the record, Vinz and C and another friend are planning to move out to a 3 bed room apartment in September. So staying in this present place is just a temporary measure.

C and his sister who came from his home country for a visit moved in almost 2 weeks ago. One night while the 3 of them were preparing to cook dinner, Vinz said that he usually puts in the chicken, rice, some garlic, ginger, vegetables and sesame oil into the rice cooker to make chicken rice. That fucking C said...

"I'm WARNING YOU ahh..I don't eat these kinda food!!!"

That was blow number one.

Blow number two came when Vinz let C cook dinner. C scooped in half a tub of butter and fried it with mince beef, put 2 beef cubes and some sugar and he does not call that shit food. I understand that one man's medicine is another's poison but still...does it even make sense to use half a tub of butter?

Vinz then discussed with me saying that maybe C and him shouldn't move out. He cannot tahan his eating habits. He wears his slippers in the house and the kitchen. What sense does it make? The kitchen is sticky and oily. The hall is carpeted. Isn't it making the whole house dirty? Why doesn't he wear his bloody slippers in his own room if he thinks that his slippers are so clean?

Vinz wants me to move out with him but I told him that it is utterly impossible. I can't. My parents, although they have met him and approve of him, will not allow such things until I finish my studies at least.

I can't offer Vinz any solution. It hurts me to see him getting bullied and pushed around by his damn housemate. I can't stand the sight of him and his sister. C even had the cheek to tell Vinz that he can sense that I don't like him and I don't talk to him. Has he ever checked his own behaviour on why I don't like him? Yesterday I tried to be nice so I talked to his sister. I asked her a question and she gave me the WTF look and answered it unwillingly. Alright then, if she wants to give me the WTF look then I'll give it back to her!

Tell me what should Vinz do? He is unhappy to stay with C. He can't stay with me. He can't poach his friend who plans to move out together with them as it won't look good on him. The only solution I can give him is keep hoping that C does not pay the rent so it will be a valid reason to kick his ass off on the tarmac.

Argghhhh..this problem has been plaguing me for so long! Help!

|